The major project of the College Women's Club of Montclair, Inc. is the Book Sale, which raises money for scholarships. Each year the club provides aid to graduating high school girls for their college education. The club has awarded over a million dollars in scholarships to girls in Montclair and the surrounding area since its inception over 81 years ago. It supports the AAUW Education Foundation, which helps women reach their personal and professional goals through a series of fellowships and grants.
We rent Book Sale Headquarters in the basement of the Technopulp Building at 26 Park Street in Montclair, NJ, all year. We take donations of used Books, CDs, DVDs, LPs, Audio Tapes, Sheet Music, Software, Ephemera from area residents during the year, usually Saturdays from 9:30am until 11:45am. We collect Books from May through September and again from December through February. The Book Sales take place in November and April. We post our schedules on Baristanet.com, Patch.com, thejerseytomatopress.com and feature it on the Montclair Watercooler. .
We welcome volunteers to help with receiving, organizing and selling our donations. Our efforts were supported this past year by many high school volunteers. As these young people gained experience in community service, we enjoyed the enthusiasm and strength of their youth. Our members, of course, are the real workhorses of the Sale, but we welcome any book lovers who would like to help. We spend Wednesday and Saturday mornings at the Headquarters, and, as the Sale date nears, Mondays through Fridays. But please note, although we are sometimes there on other days, we only accept donations on the scheduled Saturdays when we have sufficient staff present to accept the stream of books.
Our Book Sales allow us to create a substantial number of scholarships each year. For the 2015-2016 year we gave out $36,000 to 18 area high school senior girls. Quite impressive results for selling all those books for $.50, $1 and $2!!! We sold them but you donated them - many thanks!
We will be open for donations starting Saturday, May 20. Our donation policy has been altered - our contract with our landlord has changed and we are now limited in our use of space. We can therefore accept LIMITED donations at Booksale Headquarters on the following Saturdays from 9:30am 'til 11:45am.
Donors may drop off no more than 15 containers each week, either bags, cartons (with maximum dimensions of 10” X 12” X 15”), or a combination. They may return on subsequent weeks, following the same guidelines.
May 20, 26
June 3, 10, 17, 24
July 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
August 5, 12, 19, 26
It's easier to say what we don't accept than to list what we do. We DO NOT want
- Encyclopedia sets
- Reader's Digest Condensed books (or similar)
- Textbooks (unless quite recent or very old)
- AAA Travel Guides or maps
- Travel Guides that are more than 3-4 years old (unless they are very old)
- Anything that is falling apart, moldy, heavily underlined, etc.
- Puzzles or board games
- American Heritage or Horizon magazines
- Magazines more recent than 1980
- VHS tapes (video tapes)
- All hardcover and softcover books, adult & children, English and other languages, fiction and non-fiction
- Media of all kinds: DVDs, CDs, records (no 78's), audio books (CD and audio tape), audio tapes. They must all be in their original printed jackets. Please don't bring us empty cases (check those CD jewel boxes), or anything that you recorded yourself (we can't legally resell those).
- Sheet music, maps, postcards
- Magazines from before 1980, except for National Geographic which must be from before WWII
Please pull up in the striped area in front of the door on the side of the building to unload. DO NOT park in the building lot - you may stop briefly to drop off books but do not leave your car unattended. The building tenants rent their spaces year round and they will call the police to ticket your car if you park in one of their slots
Booksale Headquarters (opposite YMCA)
26 Park St. (Lower level)
Montclair, NJ 07042
Web site: cwcmontclair.com